In the Face of Injustice

Life is filled with injustices -- both big and small.
Living in Haiti for almost three years, I've seen my fair share of injustices.

Injustice is injustice. Someone is still getting the short end of the stick without valid reason or cause. Injustice in Haiti isn't somehow weightier than injustice in America or Mexico or Antarctica. It's simply the injustice that I'm faced with the most. 

Over the last three months (give or take) it feels like I see injustice everywhere I turn...
  • Innocent lives of unborn children being taken
  • People fighting to survive while gangs control a stretch of road
  • The exchange rate of the Haitian currency deteriorating
    • By the end of the week it will probably be close to 100 goudes for 1 USD. It was 60 gds/dollar when I moved here.
  • People putting their desires and efforts above others to get ahead or have control
  • Haitians with a "blan" not being asked for their ID to enter a local business, but being asked to leave their ID if they are alone or with other Haitians
  • Kids being deprived of the things that they desperately need
  • Not being able to go house shopping with my fiancé to avoid "pri blan" ((The higher price charged because of the color of my skin))
  • My fiancé not being given the time of day when going to apply for a visa
  • Tensions still on high alert throughout the country I call home because there's still no definite resolution
Some of these might seem a little bit petty compared to others, but they are all injustices of some kind. Some of those injustices weigh on my heart more deeply than others. 

My feathers have been ruffled on more than one occasion in the not so distant past.
Tears have been cried over the state of this country I love so dearly. 
Prayers pleaded to the Lord for resolution and peace and safety. 
Anxiety raised over trying to plan a wedding under a Level 4 Travel Advisory. 

I would be lying if sometimes it didn't all feel a little hopeless. 

The good news is that it isn't. We have hope unending in our God. 
If I've learned anything in the last few months it's this: 

>>YOU'RE STRONGER THAN YOU THINK YOU ARE.<<

When our hearts ache for the injustices of the world, God fills us with His Spirit. He fills us with peace and a passion to fight and to speak up. He fills us with a desire to serve and support. 

  • "For You are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness." Psalm 5:4a.
  • "But let all those rejoice who put their trust in You; Let them ever shout for joy, because You defend them; Let those also who love Your name be joyful in You. For You, O LORD, will bless the righteous; With favor You will surround him as with a shield." Psalm 5:11-12
  • "My defense is of God, who saves the upright in heart. God is a just judge, and God is angry with the wicked every day." Psalm 7:10-11
  • "The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; For You, LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalm 9:9-10
I could go and on with words from the Psalms about how our God is just and He hears our prayers and how He fights for us -- how He hates evil. ((Just go read them. You'll be encouraged!)) His heart breaks into far more pieces than ours do over the injustices of life. But guess what?

HE WINS. 
HE ALREADY WON. 

God wins the war. We might feel like we fight losing battles, but those battles are part of what makes us who we are. It's in those moments God grows us. He forces us to lean on Him and Him alone.

I would have never survived the last eight months had it not been for the strength of the Lord in me. He's been equipping me with what I need to fight my battles and He wants to equip you too! All you have to do is dig in. Fill yourself with His Word -- spending time with Him. He makes us warriors. 

And for all the injustices, He sprinkles (or showers) our lives with blessings -- glimmers of goodness and hope...
  • A driver and friend who doesn't think twice about handing you his debit card to pay for your groceries so you'll have cash on the road just in case
  • Kind souls who pull your newly purchased mattress ((that flew out of the back of the truck)) out of the middle of the road hoping you'll turn back for it and warding off someone attempting to steal it
  • Having that cash left unspent to leave those kind souls with a gift
  • The blessing of planning a wedding to the man I love
  • A closing gap of time until you're reunited with your family after eight long months
  • Steadfast students diving into the English language
  • Amazing supporters like you to support me and my Haitian life
  • Having my soon to be in-laws open their doors and surround me with love whenever I don't want to be alone
  • Deepening relationships
Again, I could go on and on. 

The blessings are there, we just have to look for them. Count your blessings friend. Name them one by one so we don't drown in the sea of injustice. Take courage that God is on our side. He's fighting WITH us and He's fighting FOR us. We wake each day in His hands.

I got this. You got this. 
Kenbe Fèm 
{Hold firm.}

Love, Caitlin
I love Lysa Terkeurst. She's always so encouraging.
Click the link to read the devotion that went with this photo. 

{Normal for me, but not for you...}
Stepping into the shower mid-afternoon and soaking up the 30 seconds of "heated" water before it slowly gets cold again. 

Family movie!



I'm coming home in a couple weeks! Be on the lookout for more information!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ayiti Cheri

Steady {Rain} of Peace

Monsieur + Madame Beauplan // Wedding + Honeymoon