grounded in chaos

Some of Wood's family at his graduation.

What a few weeks it has been. Here in Haiti, we've been meeting ourselves coming and going. That trend doesn't seem to be stopping any time soon.


Passing the holidays in Haiti wasn't quite what I expected.
It wasn't necessarily better or worse...just different.

Christmas doesn't hold the same weight that it does in America. Much more attention is given to New Year's Eve and Day as January 1 is Haiti's Independence Day. 


You all enjoy your snow...I'll keep my beach views.
On Christmas Eve, Wood and I went to church (which wasn't packed to the gills like in America) and then we went to a party. Christmas Eve was difficult. It was tough not being with my family for the first time in 26 years! I did get to phone in for prayer time at my grandparent's house which filled my heart with gladness.

On Christmas Day, Wood and I headed to Kaliko Beach Resort to spend the day and night with the Brouwers. Moses was SO excited to have ALL his people at the beach. Before we arrived, he had been signing for Wood. ((We've been teaching him sign language for the last year or so.)) It was nice to get away and do something special for the holiday.

January has brought about many different levels of busyness. Luke and Julie have made numerous trips to Port working on paperwork for Moses' adoption and we've been getting our building project off the ground. 


Family time on New Year's Eve
Add in to all of these various meetings and projects, we had a team come. This team was different from most teams for me. Julie was needed in Port for some meetings and was, therefore, not here for the first couple days of our trip. This allowed me the opportunity to step up and help Luke lead the team.

Typically when teams are here I'm the one working behind the scenes as parent, teacher, and handyman, making sure that the team has everything they need at our lodging facilities. While I always enjoy what I do, I would be lying if I said that I didn't enjoy the change of pace. I enjoyed getting to build deeper connections with each of the different members of the team. 

This group was also especially refreshing because about half of the team was close to my age. Community is something that can be challenging here because many Americans are busy so it's difficult to find time to hang out. 

Our season of busyness is in full swing. We have numerous upcoming teams, the Brouwers are heading to the States for a couple weeks, and my parents are coming to visit!

One of the verses that I've been clinging to in the midst of what feels like constant chaos is Isaiah 26:3, "You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You. Because he trusts in You.

It's so comforting to know that God has it all under control. Even when our lives feel out of control, He brings us back down to earth. He grounds us. He keeps us in perfect peace. 

The beginning of the year can feel overwhelming with resolutions and getting back to it after a break from the holidays. If you're feeling the weight of those things, rest in this truth. God has you in His hands. 

Love,
Caitlin



My attempt at some habit tracking for the new year. 

Normal for me, but not for you...
*being without city power for 2 weeks straight* 
we've been fortunate enough to have a generator to keep us in power through the nights and city power came back yesterday...but it was starting to be a concern as there have been numerous diesel and gas shortages over the last month. 

Interested in coming to be a part of our construction? Let me know and I can get you more information. Email me at cateymarie92@gmail.com. 


I didn't have a Christmas tree, so I made one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monsieur + Madame Beauplan // Wedding + Honeymoon

Wanna Hang Out?

Steady {Rain} of Peace