Haiti in One Word

If someone were to ask me how to describe Haiti in one word I think my word would have to be weird. Life here is weird for so many reasons.
I was the "responsible, white adult"
that took Chloe and Jude on a walk to the
market to get "popsicles."

Weird #1: Time and Work
Time is not the same here. It’s slow, but it’s fast. Days drag, weeks and months fly by. It’s crazy to me that I’ve already lived here almost 7 weeks. Very few people in Haiti, including us, work a 9-5 job. “Jobs” are completed during the morning hours. School is during the mornings hours. Then, you have an afternoon of hours to fill. As missionaries, this doesn’t always look this way. In a way, we never stop working. Things come up, but then sometimes they are really slow. People show up on our porch needing things, we go on adventures, we take naps, we binge watch Netflix. No two days ever look the same.

Weird #2: Church
I live in a beautiful country.
Church is not the same here. It has probably been one of the weirdest things for me to adjust to. We do not go to church every Sunday morning. I know, we’re missionaries. What do you mean we don’t go to church on Sundays? Believe me, it’s strange. The churches of Haiti are VERY legalistic and we are frankly not welcome in some of them because of this or that. Haitian church is very long, hot, and often isn’t presenting a clear version of the Gospel. So, we do church a little different. When the power cooperates, we often stream our own home churches’ services. (Concord, I’m looking at you!) We also meet once a week, typically Wednesday nights, to have a prayer meeting of sorts. It is a time for us to share about our ministries and struggles and celebrations. Then of course, we pray. Spotify has become my best friend in terms of worship during my quiet times and really all of the time. 

Now, I know you’re thinking, how are you not going to church? How are you sharing the Gospel? For the time, this is primarily done through relationships that we build with the Haitians. It is our goal in all of our ministries to build relationships and show the love our Father has for us in our interactions, meetings, conversations, and by the lives we lead as an example. We are in the process of planting a church. We have found a Haitian pastor that really understand what the Gospel means. We are working to find pastors and churches in the States willing to come alongside our Haitian friend to minister to him and help him get a church off the ground. It is our goal to have a church and building that shares a clear and concise presentation of the Gospel, who God is, what He has done for us and how they too can have a personal relationship with Christ. It’s a slow process because we live in Haiti and nothing happens quickly here. 

My home. I live on the bottom floor.
Weird #3: Living
Living is 50% “normal” and 50% “weird.” It’s normal in that I live in a house. I have my own room. I eat  three meals a day. I cook sometimes. I have a cool place to sleep at night. I have internet. It’s weird in that I see the same 10-15 people everyday. This not a complaint, but it’s sometimes weird. God has blessed me because I very much love all 10-15 people that I see everyday. It would be a real bummer if we didn’t all like each other. But, it is a bit weird to live and work with the same people all day, everyday. We all have moments where we need a break and have to get away. Over the last few weeks, I have learned what I need to be renewed here. I am a quality time person, so I do enjoy spending time with people. However, I also value time to myself (I get that in our quiet afternoons). I’ve learned that I have to leave the compound where we live from time to time to get a change of scenery. Another weird thing is that I don’t drive. Not driving, this looks different. I either have to run and errand with someone who does drive or take a moto taxi. [I took my very first ride to the grocery store a couple weeks ago. Call me Miss Independent.] For anyone who knows how I love to drive, you know what a weird thing this is for me. It’s not to say I won’t ever drive here, but driving in Haiti is a bit of a challenge.  
My purchases from my moto
trip to the store. Pringles and
Gatorade.

Weird #4: Leaving Behind the Familiar 
This is a thought that has really hit home in the last few weeks. When you move to a foreign country, a lot of things change. It is very unfamiliar. The one month mark away from home was a little tough. I was truly homesick for the first time. I missed hugs from daddy. I missed physically seeing my friends and family. I missed getting in the car to drive and do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. But, God is good and we pushed through. A few weeks later, it was a real struggle for me because it really began to sink in that my social life here was going to look a lot different from my social life in the States. In the States, I could call up a friend, get in my car, and meet them. I could drive two hours home to Jeff City when I wanted to see my parents. I could crash my grandparents for dinner because I didn’t feel like cooking. Not so in Haiti. Again, I see the same people everyday. Now, there are other Americans that live in Gonaives that I can go meet up and do things with. However, scheduling can be complicated and our dinner options are much less than America. But, it’s possible and as I get more familiar with the city and more confident in my ability to travel around by myself, I think I will. Life is Haiti is hard. I won’t sugar coat it. It’s different. It’s not familiar. However, I serve a BIG God who is working constantly in my heart to fill me up and renew me. He keeps me strong. I know that I am exactly where I need to be and I wouldn’t have it any other way despite the minor struggles I might face. 
My sweet Moses

The Lord has really been teaching me to rely on Him and only Him. Not to find my identity in myself or others, but Him. He is constant and unchanging. He loves me and He wants me to slow down and draw near to Him and enjoy His presence. My prayer has been that I would be satisfied in Him alone. Look up the song “Satisfied” by Jordan Feliz. It’s a good one. [Thank you Spotify]

Because life here is so weird, it’s easy to believe that there are things that happen here we find completely normal that others might not. So, I have decided to include a few of these moments in each of my blog posts so that you can get a feel for our “normal” life. We shall call it “Normal For Me, But Not For You”

#1: Going to dinner and the power going out, so you end up eating by a battery powered lantern. 
#2: Speaking of power — oftentimes taking a shower in the dark because there isn’t any. Again, using some sort of battery powered light. 
#3: Going to the grocery store for an ingredient and not finding it and not knowing when it will be back in stock. Could be days. Could be months. Could be never. [Trips to Ganaibo are an adventure because you’re never really sure what they are going to have.]

Sorry for the lengthy post, but hopefully this will give you an understanding of why my answer to the question, "How's Haiti?" might be, "weird."

Thank you for your prayers and support. 
Love,
Caitlin

Chloe and Jude with a photo bomber. Meet Sis. (pronounced Cease)

Comments

  1. Thanks for your blog. Gives me a better idea how to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ayiti Cheri

Steady {Rain} of Peace

Monsieur + Madame Beauplan // Wedding + Honeymoon