3 Weeks

Three Weeks. They say that is the first milestone you hit when you move somewhere new. It is the first moment that hits you of, "Oh, I'm not going home for a while. This is my new home." Three Weeks is how long I have been living in Haiti. Though, I must say that it seems like much longer. The days are long here, but the weeks pass by quickly.

Hanging out and being
silly with Jude
Some snuggle time
with Moses. 
When moving to Haiti, I wasn't sure exactly what to expect moving to a new country, a new house, with new people. I didn't have many expectations. Maybe that is why my transition has seemed so "easy." I feel as though I'm adjusting well, which is a huge blessing. I'm still learning things and will be for the weeks and months to come, but it's nice to feel "comfortable."

Week One brought a lot of observations for me. Just getting a handle on life here and what it looked like. I spent a lot of time with the Brouwer kids and chatted with them about things they would like to see in school. I spent time with Katie, getting to know my new roommate that I had never met. We immediately clicked over our TV viewing habits. I see many Netflix afternoons in our future. Week One also brought my first Creole lessons so I can communicate with Haitians and actually understand. I also got to meet several of the other Americans here in Gonaives.

The shelf of school curriculum.
Delivering eggs and
meeting new people. 






Week Two included the big move. I moved into my house with Katie, which we often refer to as the "Cati" house (the combined spelling of Cati we are still working out). We're settling in nicely. We've already been planning some "spruces" for our house, complete with some silly house rules (mainly for our guests)! Week Two also brought the prep for school to start. When I moved into my house, we also had to move all of the homeschool stuff over. School is held in our big dining room. I spent many hours organizing and getting things ready and prepared for school to start Week Three. Mwen aprann Creole. (I learned more Creole and my lessons continue...vocabulary, vocabulary, vocabulary!)

Week Three was the start of school. Well, mid-way through the week anyway. I made sure the kids really felt like they were back in the States by making them take obligatory first day of school photos and complete some cheesy classroom unity activities. They took it like champs [and dare I say enjoyed some of them.] We've had two "full" days of school, (school is from 9-1 approximately) and we are finding our balance. The kids have been really flexible with me and the changes I've made to fit my personality and teaching style. They are very e
First day of School Photos
xcited about the addition of PE this year. Don't worry, I'm not teaching that, but was able to con Holden into playing the role of Coach. So far, they've run the mile and are awaiting next week's activities. Other highlights from Week Three included getting a Haitian phone number and killing some creepy crawlies [which if you know me is a feat]. Oh, and more Creole.

Some might ask what a typical day in Haiti looks like --  it's much different than the States. So, here's a rough outline of what a day (for me) might look like:

8:00 - Getting ready for the day. Morning conversations on the porch. Breakfast [usually eggs].
9:00 - School starts (Chloe and I might be starting earlier in the next few weeks.)
1:00ish - School is over. Lunch [usually peanut butter and bread].
Afternoon - Everyone kind of does their own thing. Read, Netflix, nap, help someone with a random project, and Creole lessons three times a week.
6:30 - Dinner. A variety of the same things, just prepared in different ways. Usually rice and beans and some type of meat. We also have pasta, random "American" meals that we can make work with product available in Haiti.
Hanging out at Kid's Program one Saturday.
After Dinner - A "framily" show time with everyone. (We just got finished watching the Olympics projected on the roof.) and hang out time. We meet to have a prayer time once a week and share what's going on with everyone.
9:00ish - Bedtime. For me, this doesn't always include actual sleeping yet, but just some quiet time reading or watching Netflix and unwinding from the day.

No two days are really ever the same, but my job lets my day be a little more consistent. I'm excited to continue on this journey and see what else is in store. I'm also looking forward to be able to start communicating in Creole. Please pray for the kids and I as we continue to find a balance with the new school year and for the Hope Community Project as we are looking at our end goal and finding the best way to reach it. Pray for God to open and close the doors He would have us walk by or through.

Until next month,
Caitlin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ayiti Cheri

Steady {Rain} of Peace

Monsieur + Madame Beauplan // Wedding + Honeymoon